Federation of St Dominic and St Mellion Schools

Religious Education and Church Involvement

Religious Education enables children to investigate and reflect on some of the most fundamental questions in life. Children reflect on what it means to have a faith and to develop their own spiritual knowledge and understanding. We help the children learn from religions as well as about religions.

Our school curriculum for R.E. is based on the Cornwall Local Authority syllabus & ‘Understanding Christianity’ - with modifications recommended by the Diocese. The main focus is on Christianity (75% of the syllabus) with an emphasis on the practices of the Church of England. The remaining time (25% of the syllabus) is used for the study of other world religions. Visits to local churches enables us to give additional time to the Religious Education Curriculum.

There is a collective act of worship each day. Worship is planned around a half-termly Christian value, providing many points for reflection during the week. A member of the local church leads an act of Collective Worship each week. We are also joined by the local Methodist minister each half term. We enjoy ‘celebration assembly’ as an opportunity to reflect on achievements and share successes. Our Worship Club (a child-led group) lead worship too & organise clubs.

The general ethos of our school, as a caring Christian community, is established in Collective Worship and is at the heart of our school life.

Our relationship with the local church is a special one. Special festivals such as Harvest, Christmas and Easter are celebrated at St. Dominick Church, as are special events such as the annual Leavers’ Service. Parents are warmly invited to attend these services, as are members of the local community.

Parents opting for their child to attend this school are normally expected to allow their child to participate fully in Religious Education and Collective Worship. Any parents wishing to withdraw their child from such activities should contact the Head of Schools, in order for alternative arrangements to be made.